"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught."
- Winston Churchill

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Character Study I

            The fact that I’m doing this a week late, and have restarted three times before writing this is some indirect characterization for you.  I don’t even know where to start to describe myself. There are so many different ways people perceive me.

            He sat there in the middle of the room wondering what the heck everyone thought of him. He looked around the room and wondered if everyone else was thinking the same thing. There were groups of people he thought were talking a little loud as if to try to say “Yeah that’s right I have friends” and it just seemed fake. “I’d much rather sit here by myself than be like them,” he thought. It’s the first day and he could feel everyone judging each other and realized he was doing the same. He thought how what he is seeing isn’t who any of these people really are. No one would know that he was a wrestler, or that he was actually smart, or that he was extremely competitive, or that he was even just an interesting person in any way. He knew he could probably find something to talk about with every person in the room from the nerdiest nerd to the “coolest” jock, but everyone was too busy judging each other to take that first step to start a conversation, and he hated it but yet he did nothing about it. He hated how no one was getting to know each other but yet he wasn’t making an effort to get to know anyone. He thought about all his friends he had back in high school and how easily he could talk to anyone because we had all spent so much time together. He reassured himself that eventually things would get less awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment